Whether you’re just beginning, fully fluent, or somewhere in between, knowing a foreign language can certainly enhance your travel experience abroad.
As our world becomes more interconnected, a second language can also give you a valuable social, cultural and professional boost. This is especially true for Spanish, now that a firm grasp of the language is considered valuable in North America and beyond.
A student who immerses themselves in the culture and language of Spanish-speaking countries will substantially enrich their linguistic skill set and benefit immeasurably. Here are a few facts about this important language!
Spanish Language Facts and Statistics
- Today, over 320 million people speak Spanish worldwide.
- Out of all the Romance languages, Spanish is the most widely spoken.
- Spanish is the official language of all South American countries except Brazil and Guyana.
Spanish Language History
- The modern-day Spanish language is derived from a dialect of Latin that evolved in the Iberian Peninsula after the fall of the Western Roman Empire.
- Spanish became a written language in Toledo, Spain between the 13th and 16th
- When the Spaniards colonized the Americas, the Spanish language was still developing. As a result, two forms of the language began to emerge—European Spanish and Latin American Spanish.
Useful Spanish Language Immersion Phrases:
|Por favor||Poor fah-voor||Please|
|¿Habla inglés?||Ah-blah in-glehs?||Do you speak English?|
|¿De dónde eres?||Deh done-deh eh-res||Where are you from?|
|No entiendo||No en-tien-dough||I don’t understand|
|¿Cuánto cuesta?||Cuan-toh cues-tah||How much is it?|
|¿Dónde está el baño?||Done-deh es-tah elle bah-nee-oh||Where is the bathroom|
|Estoy buscando….||Es-toy booze-can-dough||I am looking for…|
|Estoy perdida||Es-toy per-dee-dah||I am lost|
|Yo soy de…||Yo soy deh||I am from…|
|Me puede llevar a….||Meh poo-eh-deh jev-are ah||Can you take me to…|
|Yo quiero…||Yo kieh-roh||I want…|
Try out some Spanish slang!
|Mala Pata||Mah-lah pah-tah||Bad luck|
|Esta como una cabra||Es-tah co-moh un-ah cah-bra||To be absolutely crazy|
|Tener buen rollo||The-ner boo-en roj-oh||To have good vibes|